Frequently Asked Questions

Contact SCS at 352-3380 or 352-6677.
Learn more here.

At SCS, we work with many different forms of insurance and will submit bills on your behalf.

No one will be denied access to services due to their inability to pay. SCS offers a discounted/sliding fee schedule the number of dependents you have in your household and your household gross income. To take advantage of this opportunity, you will need the following information:

  • Proof of income
  • Social Security number
  • Insurance/benefits card
  • Government provided photo ID

While Medicare, Medicaid, and most insurance is accepted; all Wyoming residents are eligible to receive services, regardless of their insurance status. A sliding fee scale is available for those who qualify.

In order to come prepared, you will need to bring:

  • Insurance/benefits card (private, Medicare, Medicaid or Equality Care)
  • Social Security number
  • Government provided photo ID (driver’s license, State-issued ID card, military ID)
  • Proof of gross household income (if requesting financial assistance)
  • Payment

Plan on spending about two hours at your first appointment. You will be asked to fill out some forms for our agency, including your consent to have treatment at Southwest Counseling Service.

You will meet with a mental health clinician who will complete an assessment with you on the computer. This person will ask you questions about your history and your reasons for coming in for counseling. At the end of the session, you and your clinician will talk about options for treatment and your treatment plan.

Southwest Counseling Service takes your privacy very seriously, and we work hard to protect your confidentiality. SCS uses electronic health care records that are secured and cloud based and is not shared with anyone without your consent.

There are some exceptions to that, which are legal reasons that your clinician would have to share information about you without your consent. Those include, but are not limited to a serious medical emergency or threat to life, legally reportable information about child or adult neglect, or if there is a valid court order requiring information.

Sometimes people come to Southwest Counseling Service as a result of a court order or because of legal problems. If that is the case, we will usually have you sign a release of information form allowing us to contact your referral source about your therapy. This is often necessary to let the referral source know that you are attending therapy and how you are progressing.

For more information about all of the limits to confidentiality, as well as information about the employee code of ethics, please view the client information guide.

For Mental Health Services, you can locate SCS at this address: 1124 College Drive, Rock Springs, WY 82901.

For Recovery & Billing Services, you can locate SCS at this address: 2300 Foothill Boulevard, Rock Springs, WY 82901.

For Medical & Psychosocial Services, you can locate SCS at this address: 2706 Ankeny Way, Rock Springs, WY 82901.

For Open Access, you can locate SCS at this address: 1124 College Drive, Rock Springs, WY 82901. Walk-in appointments are available Monday-Thursdays starting from 12pm to 4pm.

SCS is open 5 days a week.

Our hours vary by location. We typically open at 8am Monday-Friday.

For appointments and more information, call (307) 352-6680 or (307) 352-6677. If you or someone you know is in a crisis, there are people to help. The Suicide & Crisis Lifeline is available 24/7. Call or text 988. If there is an emergency DIAL 911.

The total cost for this evaluation is $175. You may make payment arrangements with the clerical staff if you will not be able to pay in full. Also, please be aware that we will notify referral resources, such as probation, courts, etc., of payment and non-payment.

Finally, if you have had an evaluation or addiction severity index (ASI) assessment completed in the past three months, SCS will require a copy and there will be no additional charge for this portion of the assessment. The cost with a previous ASI included is based on our sliding fee scale.

Therapeutic Community, and Women’s Addiction Program are all residential treatment programs where individuals reside in Southwest Counseling Service housing during the substance abuse treatment program. Each program has various lengths of stay ranging from four months to more than one year.

Application process
The application for admissions into residential treatment is a drug and alcohol evaluations completed within the last six months including the ASI and ASAM indicating the level of care recommended. The evaluation is reviewed to determine if the applicant is appropriate for placement with the residential program. Applications can be mailed or faxed to our Foothill office, attention to program operations supervisor. Once approved the applicant will be contacted and either given a bed date or put on a waiting list. Once approved an admission packet will be mailed out with a list of belongings that they are allowed to have in treatment, the packet also includes the rules of the program and the level system for the TC/WAP programs.

Bring enough clothing for seven (7) days, clothing must be modest and without offensive designs or logos (i.e. advertising tobacco, alcohol, bars, or counterculture lifestyles). Bring athletic wear such as tennis shoes, gym-type shorts, and appropriate tank tops, or sweats for use during exercise. No leggings unless they are under clothing. All clothing must fit without being overly loose or tight. Bring modest sleepwear and a robe. Bring seasonal clothing, i.e. hats, gloves, coats, etc. Please be reminded that there is limited space to keep your personal belongings so keep to a minimum what you bring. It is advised that you leave all valuables at home such as expensive jewelry. Also, no more than 3 pairs of shoes are permitted; they must be closed toed and heels may not have a heel higher than 1 ½ inches. Absolutely no flip/flops will be allowed (with the exception of shower shoes). We have laundry facilities and provide laundry products.

Bring personal toiletries and hygiene supplies. For example, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, hair brush/comb, hair accessories, lotion, and shaving accessories. Ladies are allowed only eight make-up items, this does not include brushes; please do not bring more than the allotted amount. If you bring more it will be stored until arrangements can be made to send them to your home at your expense. Bedding and towels are provided.

Bring prescription medication to last at least up to thirty (30) days until you can be seen by our physician. These medications must be in their original prescription bottles or a written prescription. Over-the-counter medications are provided and your own will not be accepted so please do not bring them. You will be responsible for the cost of any prescription medications. Should you be eligible for quality of life funding you would then be responsible for only half of the cost of your prescription medications.

Tobacco products are prohibited in the program. There will be no smoking or chewing tobacco used while in treatment.


Affordable help, with or without insurance.

Southwest Counseling Service accepts payment by cash, credit card, Medicaid, Medicare, and will bill all insurances although that does not guarantee payment. SCS offers services based on the sliding fee scales.

Medical Insurance

SCS bills all medical insurances, in-network and out-of-network. Please check with your insurance company to verify coverage amounts.


SCS accepts Medicare per allowable Medicare covered services. If you have Medicare, please know you must see a Medicare enrolled provider. Please feel free to contact SCS with questions regarding these providers.


SCS is an approved provider with Wyoming Medicaid. If you may need assistance with applying for Medicaid, an SCS staff member is available to assist in the application process.

Employee Assistance Program

Many may not be aware their employer provides an Employee Assistance Program. If you are unsure if your employer provides covered services within an EAP, please reach out to your Human Resource department. Also, SCS may be able to assist in determining if your EAP is in-network and if your services may be covered.